Three Pioneers Score in Double-Digits to Lead Men's Basketball Past Eastern Oregon 82-69

Three Pioneers Score in Double-Digits to Lead Men's Basketball Past Eastern Oregon 82-69


PORTLAND, Ore. - The Lewis & Clark men's basketball team had three players score in double-digits on Saturday night to help take down Eastern Oregon 82-69 in the Pamplin Sports Center. Senior Marcus Wells led the way for the Pioneers with a game-high 21 points.

The win improves the Pioneers to 3-1 on the season and 2-0 at home. The Mountaineers, who are ranked 10th in the nation in NAIA, fall to 6-2 on the season.

Wells ended the night with a game-high 21 points, while pulling down six rebounds and coming up with three steals. Senior PJ Taylor knocked down 19 points for the Pios and Ross Erickson chipped in 16 points and a team-leading eight rebounds.

Travares Peterson ended the night with 21 points for the Mountaineers and game-high 12 rebounds to be the only player to finish with a double-double. Cody Thurmond contributed 14 points to the Eastern Oregon offensive, while Trent Roos finished with 12 points.

The first half of action opened with neither side able to take much of an advantage through the first 15 minutes of action. During that time the two sides tied the contest on seven occasions and switched possession of the lead eight times.

The Pioneers finally gained the momentum in the closing four minutes of the half, started by a Wells jumper. The Pioneers went on a 8-2 to take their largest lead of the contest with a little over a minute remaining in the half when an Erickson jumper made the score 26-25. John Buhler pulled the Mountaineers within nine points in the final 17 seconds cutting the score to 36-27 at the half.

The Lewis & Clark bench played a huge role in the Pios success in the first half, contributing 25 of the teams 36 points, including seven second chance points.

Roos pulled Eastern Oregon within four points in the opening minutes of the second half, hitting a free-throw with 16:24 to play, making the score 40-36. That would be as close as the Mountaineers would get in the second half as the Pioners quickly increased their lead back to double-digits. A shot from behind the arc by Taylor gave the Pios their largest lead up to that point, 49-37, with 13:15 to play.

Wells and Taylor put on a show in the final five minutes of the game, hitting all but one shot that they put up, while also assisting on each others shots. An Erickson free-throw with 56 seconds remaining handed the Pios their largest lead of the contest at 81-65.

Lewis & Clark returns to action on Tuesday, Nov. 29 at 7 p.m. hitting the road to take on the University of Portland.