Men's Basketball Ends 2011 With 84-80 Double Overtime Victory Over Lewis-Clark State

Men's Basketball Ends 2011 With 84-80 Double Overtime Victory Over Lewis-Clark State


PORTLAND, Ore. - The Lewis & Clark men's basketball team put up a fight against the Lewis-Clark State Warriors on Saturday night, ending 2011 with an 84-80 double overtime victory.

The Pioneers improve to 5-6 on the season and a perfect 4-0 at home. The Warriors slip to 11-3 overall. The victory snaps the Pioneers two game losing streak and evens the season series against the Warriors to 1-1.

The Pioneers starting five each finished the game in double-figures in scoring, with junior James Hollins leading the way with 21 points. Senior Marcus Wells knocked down 19 points, while  Ross Erickson and freshman Justin Leathers each scored 12 points. Senior Scott Pisapia ended the night with 11 points. Erickson also pulled down a game-high 13 rebounds for his second double-double of the season.

PJ Bolte scored a game-high 36 points in the Warrior loss, while also collecting a team-high 12 rebounds for the games second double-double. Darin Steward scored 11 points in the LC State effort, while Jeray Key and Nick Fromm each ended the night with nine points.

After meeting on Dec. 17 in the LCSC Tournament, tonights game proved to be a much tighter contest, with the contest seeing 10 lead changes and the score tied 13 times. The Warriors took a one point, 35-34, lead into the locker room at half after a last second three pointer from Kale Schmidt with four seconds on the clock.

In the second half, the Warriors cruised to a 10 point, 51-41, advantage with 14:55 remaining in regulation, which was the largest lead held by either team in the contest. The Pioneers chipped away at the deficit, eventually tying the game at 61-61 on a Wells three pointer assisted by Leathers with 5:13 to go. The two sides jockeyed for the lead throughout the remaining minutes, but headed into overtime after Hollins drained a free-throw in the last minute.

Lewis-Clark State held the lead the entire overtime period until back-to-back Pisapia free-throws tied the contest at 72-72 with 1:24 to go. Neither team would be able to hit a shot in the final minute and a half, sending the game into a second overtime.

Hollins hit a layup in the paint to open the second overtime to give the Pioneers their first lead since the 2:57 mark in the second half. The Pioneers held on tightly to the lead in the second overitme never relinquishing it for the victory.

The Pioneers return to action on Tuesday, Jan. 3 at 8 p.m. when they host George Fox in Northwest Conference action.