Youth Is Served As Men's Tennis Take Down The Alumni
by Jimmy Chau
The Alumni keep it close, but three former number one players couldn't hold back the current Pioneer squad as they take five out of the eight sets played. Playing in a mixer style format, Senior Andrew Davy and international student Junya Furukawa stay perfect for the night as they take all the sets that they play. Davy teamed up with current number one player, Peter Ray, to eek out a doubles win, 7-6 (8-6), over former number ones, Chris Arends ('98) and Doug Freeman who played for the Pioneers in the mid seventies. Rocky Campbell ('00), craftily worked freshman Kerry White into a tie-breaker in a singles match and managed to pull it out in a 7-6 (7-5) win for the now reenergized alums. Down by a 4-2 count in sets, Matthias Kullowatz ('09) and Jimmy Chau ('01) kept the alums alive for a tie by taking down Ray and White 6-3. So it came down to the last match of the night, where the Alums could still muster up a tie. Furukawa and Davy would not let it happen though as they came through in the clutch against Campbell and Andrew Moller ('10) and break Campbell's serve to lock it up for the Pioneers 7-5. This year's Pioneers reclaim the bragging rights as last year's Alums managed to break through for their first win in quite a while. As always, the Alums enjoyed the laughs and the chance to reconnect with former teammates to prove how much they actually have left in the tank. Tonight, it was flashes of past brilliance, but youth definitely won out.
LC Pioneers 5, Alums 3
1. Junya Furukawa (LC) def. Andre Moller (Alums) 6-1
2. Rocky Campbell (Alums) def. Kerry White (LC) 7-6 (5)
1. Andrew Davy/Kerry White (LC) def. Chris Arends/Rocky Campbell (Alums) 6-2
2. Matthias Kullowatz/Doug Freeman (Alums) def. Peter Ray/Quinn Roth-Carter (LC) 7-5
3. Peter Ray/Andrew Davy (LC) def. Chris Arends/Doug Freeman (Alums) 6-4
4. Junya Furukawa/Quinn Roth-Carter (LC) def. Matthias Kullowatz/Andrew Moller (Alums) 6-3
5. Andrew Davy/Junya Furukawa (LC) def. Rocky Campbell/Andrew Moller (Alums) 7-5
6. Jimmy Chau/Matthias Kullowatz (Alums) def. Peter Ray/Kerry White (LC) 6-3
The team plays their final match of the year against Whitworth at the tennis dome, on Friday the ninth at 3:30 pm.