Soccer Loses Heartbreaker Game to Willamette in Overtime

Soccer Loses Heartbreaker Game to Willamette in Overtime
By Rachel Levitsky
Sports Information Intern


Box Score

PORTLAND, Ore. - The Lewis & Clark women's soccer team lost its first conference match-up against the Willamette Bearcats in overtime on Wednesday night, with Willamette scoring in the last minute of overtime to take the win, 4-3.

The Pioneers fall to 0-4 on the season, 0-1 in Northwest Conference (NWC) play. Willamette improves to 3-2, with a record of 1-0 in NWC play.

The Bearcats got on the scoreboard first in the 12th minute with a breakaway by Ashland Bernard.

Lewis & Clark retaliated two minutes later with a header by Anna Thorndike off a corner kick by Emilia Emmetti.

Willamette then came back with another goal in the 29th minute from Bernard, which was the result of confusion in the 18-yard box after a save by Lewis & Clark goalkeeper Geena Fong. Bernard was assisted by Jill Phillips. The Bearcats remained in the lead until halftime.

After the half, Willamette was again the first to score, in the 71st minute. The goal came from Bernard with an assist from Malia Simpson, after both beat the Pioneer defense and goalkeeper.

Lewis & Clark gained momentum in the second half, outshooting Willamette 10-5. Their effort paid off with two goals in the last four minutes of the game, bringing the match to overtime.

In the 86th minute, Emily Thompson fired a long distance shot from far outside the box to bring the score to 3-2.

Building off the excitement of a last minute goal, the Pioneers scored again in the 87th minute. Taylor Hudson ran onto a perfectly placed cross by Sarah Schoville, and found the back of the net to tie the game.

In overtime, Lewis & Clark had a 4-1 shot advantage, but Bearcat Veronica Ewers broke away to the right in the final minute of overtime, and chipped the ball in over the Lewis & Clark keeper's head.

The Pioneers return to action again on Saturday, Sept. 15 at Whitworth.