PORTLAND, Ore. - Sophomore running back Michael Abraham rushed 30 times for 142 yards, however, George Fox took advantage of its red zone opportunities to defeat the Lewis & Clark Pioneers, 17-0, Saturday afternoon on Fred Wilson Field at Griswold Stadium.
The Pioneers drop to 2-5 on the season and 1-4 in Northwest Conference play, while the Bruins improves to 4-4 and 2-3 in the NWC.
Abraham recorded his fifth career game over the century mark and his fourth game of 100 yards or more this season. His 142 yards were the second-most yards gained on the ground this season.
George Fox outgained Lewis & Clark, 265-to-253; and rushed the ball 48 times of its 63 offensive plays. On the ground, the Bruins ran for 234 yards to the Pioneers 161 on 38 attempts.
Lewis & Clark limited George Fox to a field goal and 120 total yards of offense in the first half due to its strong defensive play. Junior Ramonne Canales sacked and knocked out George Fox starting quarterback Jaden Sheffey with a 7-yard loss midway through the second quarter.
Sheffey is a key offensive weapon for the Bruin coming into the game ranking fourth in the conference in rushing touchdowns (4) and fifth in rushing (60.8 yards per game). His replacement, Jack Taylor was only 4-of-9 and 18 yards through the air.
A pair of third-quarter turnovers plagued Lewis & Clark. A fumble on its first possession of the second half gave George Fox possession on the 27-yard line. However, the Pioneers defense held the visitors to a four-and-out.
The turnover bug hit the home team on their next possession, this time, an interception. George Fox cashed it in with a 4-play, 22-yard drive as Anthony Garcia ran it in from six yards out. Garcia rushed for a team-high 129 yards on 16 carries.
Later in the third quarter, Abraham got into the end zone for the Pioneers however, a holding penalty negated the touchdown.
Sheffey scored on a 22-yard run with 8:17 remaining in the game making it 17-0 for George Fox.
- Lewis & Clark missed a 20-yard field goal in the second quarter
- Abraham rushed for 47 yards in the first quarter; 87 in the first half. Coming into the game, he ranked second in NWC rushing (87.8 yards per game)
- George Fox made its first field goal of the NWC season in five attempts with a 23-yard field goal
- Abraham gained 47 yards on seven carries in the first quarter, including a 23-yard run
- In the first half, the Pioneers had 28 plays, 14 each on the ground and through the air; for the game, Lewis & Clark ran 68 plays (38 rushes, 30 passes)
- Quarterback Mike Machado playing for the injured Caden Voges, passed for 92 yards on 15-of-30 with two interceptions
- Lewis & Clark drops to 0-3 at home this season
- Lewis & Clark was 1-of-4 on fourth down, while George Fox was 1-of-3
- In the red zone, the Bruin went 2-of-3; Pioneers were 0-of-2
Lewis & Clark continues NWC play traveling to Whitworth this Saturday at 1 p.m.