Pioneers break a four game losing streak in overtime

Pioneers break a four game losing streak in overtime

PORTLAND, Ore.-- Lewis & Clark's Kyle Owens made six 3-pointers in the second half to spark the Pioneers to an overtime comeback win, 88-80. Both Owens and Andrew Vickers were the only Pioneers to make any 3-point attempts and combined for 10 total. 

The Pioneers started the first half down 0-8 missing their first four shots. They were unable to take a lead in the first half going down 14 points but were able to score enough points to cut the deficit to eight. The first half ended with Evergreen St. up 36-28.

Lewis & Clark came out in the second half with momentum quickly cutting down the eight point lead Evergreen St. had at the end of the first half. Owens went 3 for 3 in 3-point attempts from the start of the second half which helped the Pios take their first lead of the game. Owens made six of his seven 3-pointers in the second half. The Pioneers largest lead of the game was seven points but in the last two minutes of the game both teams ended up being tied 71-71. The Pioneers made six straight free-throws before hand to keep the scored tied. With under a minute left Mak Hutson had a chance to win the game for the Pioneers in regulation but missed the layup leaving 16 seconds left on the clock. The Geoducks' Shawn Spencer also had a chance to win the game but made a mid-ranged jump shot one second after the regulation time hit zero since the ball was still in his hand at the sound of the buzzer.

"In the past couple games my shots weren't fallling." said Owens "But tonight they were. I took a couple of long shots because I had my blood pumping and I also hit a couple of them during warmup. I knew the shots would fall that is why we as a team needed to stay positive, keep our heads the game and keep playing."

In overtime five Pioneers had success at the free-throw line with all of them making both free-throws. Nico Bricker and Vickers both made key layups to extend there lead to four points before Evergreen St. used fouls to stop the clock. The Pioneers shot 84.6% from free-throw range which has been their best since the first game of the season when they shot 90.9%.

"We had a great win tonight," said Owens "We need to keep this momentum going into the game on Friday and hopefully we can have the same outcome as tonight."

Both Vicker and Owens had career-highs in points tonight. Vickers was the leading scorer with 24 points, six rebounds, four assists, and two steal while Owens had 23 points, four rebounds, one assist and three steals.

The Pioneers improved in their shooting percentages tonight shooting 41.2% from field-goal range and 32.3% from 3-point range.

Lewis & Clark will continue their home game stretch against NW Indian College on Friday Dec. 6 at 7 p.m before going on their winter break.