SPOKANE, Wash. -- The Lewis & Clark Pioneers took on the Whitworth Pirates on the road, losing game one of their scheduled doubleheader and getting rained out in game two. The Pioneers lost 12-8, despite big batting efforts from Emily Drevdahl and Sydney Cross.
The Pios allowed a seven run lead in the first three innings before a grand slam from Sydney Cross in the fourth put them back in the game and brought them to within three runs. The Pios were able to hold off the Pirates in the bottom of the fourth but both teams were able to bring home runs over the course of the next two innings, maintaining the Pirate lead and ultimately leading to their win.
Emily Drevdahl was the first to put the Pioneers on the board, blasting a homer in the top of the second out to left center and bringing her total for the season up to six. Drevdahl and Olivia Brackin are leading the team in home runs for the season, combining for 16.
The Pioneers were unable to score in the third, by which time the Pirates had established a seven run lead. The fourth inning was a big one for the Pios, with singles from Lily Moffit and Olivia Brackin, a walk for Frankie Warden, and a single from Emily Drevdahl, loading the bases for Sydney Cross. Cross blasted a homer out to left center for a grand slam, bringing the score to 8-5.
A 1-2-3 inning in the fifth shut the Pios down quickly, but they were able to score again in the sixth and seventh off hits from Zoe Juarez and Olivia Brackin, but it wasn't enough to close the gap against the Pirates, bringing the final score to 12-8.
- Emily Drevdahl now has six home runs for the season, sitting in the number two spot on the team for homers behind Olivia Brackin
- Drevdahl, Sydney Cross and Zoe Juarez combined for the Pios' six RBI's in the game
- Megan Anderson allowed six hits with three earned runs and one strikeout
- Lisa Kumasaka had one hit in the game, and leads the team in stolen bases
- Lily Moffitt and Frankie Warden both have nine multiple hit games in the season
The Pioneers play their rescheduled game Sunday morning at 11am. Their regularly scheduled doubleheader starts at 1pm.