MCMINNVILLE, Ore. -- The Lewis & Clark Pioneers competed at the Jenn Boyman Memorial Invitational on Saturday at Maxwell Field at Linfield College. The men's team saw standout performances in the 200 and 400 meter races, as well as the 400 hurdles, and the 4x100 relay. The women's team saw top three finishes in the 3000 Steeplechase, 4x400 relay, and the triple jump.
The Pios competed in almost every event, with top 10 finishes in 19 events across both teams.
The men's team swept the top three spots in the 200 meter event, with freshman Aidan Verba-Hamilton coming out on top in a time of 23.29. Verba-Hamilton was followed by Matt Weston in second place and fellow freshman Anakin Mares in third. The first and third place times were only separated by .19 seconds. Verba-Hamilton, Mares, and Weston, along with Isam Tahir went on to compete in the 4x100m relay for a second place finish.
Senior Bryce Johnson took home a second place finish in the 400 meter race, just .07 seconds off his career best time, while Benji Bromberg finished second in the 400 hurdles in a time of 1:02.11. For the women, Rachelle Locey took third in the triple jump at 10.82m while Katie Hull took second in the 3000m Steeplechase, just 8 seconds off her career best time.
- Syrah Starnes took ninth in the hammer throw with a new career best of 37.76m
- Conor Sandoval was the lone competitor for the Pioneers in the 800m, coming in 13th
- Chrislyn DeMattos tied for ninth in the high jump while Aidan Verba-Hamilton and Matthew Weston tied for fifth in the men's 100m
- Logan Kyle finished fourth in the pole vault, just a few meters short of his career best
- Sam Johnson competed in the 200m, triple jump, discus, and javelin events
- The women had four athletes finish in the top 10 in the 200 - Rachelle Locey, Morgan Taylor, Kennie Beighle, and Ayla Kumano
- Andrew Werst took 4th in the discus event
The Pioneers will host the L&C Invite next weekend on Sat., Apr. 20. Racing kicks off at 10am.