FOREST GROVE, Ore. -- The Lewis & Clark Pioneers went on the road to compete at the Pacific Luau Invitational just two weeks out from the Northwest Conference Championships. The Pioneers took home multiple top finishes on the men's side, with Miguel Haro Ruiz winning the 1500m, Kyle Logan placing first in the pole vault and a relay team of Anakin Mares, Isam Tahir, Matthew Weston, and Bryce Johnson coming out on top in the 4x100m.
The women's team earned two top three finishes with Rachelle Locey taking second in the long jump and Tihanne Mar-shall taking third in the triple jump. There were also multiple new career best performances from the women.
The men's 4x100 relay team finished in first place with a time of 42.96, just under two seconds ahead of Corban. The team made up of Anakin Mares, Matthew Weston, Isam Tahir, and Bryce Johnson is currently second in the conference. Johnson and Weston went on to finish third and eighth in the 400m respectively, while Mares and Tahir went on to place third and fourth in the 100m event. Miguel Haro Ruiz raced only in the 1500 but placed first with a time of 4:04.54, securing another first place finish for the Pios. Logan Kyle also went on to take first in the pole vault.
Rachelle Locey competed in two events, taking second in the long jump with a distance of 5.1 meters and placing fifth in the 100m hurdles. The other top three finish for the women came from Tihanne Mar-shall, who took third in the women's triple jump with a distance of 9.76 meters. The women's team also saw multiple athletes set new personal bests, including Kennie Beighle, Etta Moen, Syrah Starnes, Emily Tash, and Maddie Thomas.
- Bryce Johnson is eighth in the conference for the 100, fifth in conference for the 200, and third in conference for the 400, as well as being a member of the 4x100 relay team that is second in the conference
- Kennie Beighle set a new career best time in the 100m
- Alexandra Coons and Adalynn Griesser were both one second off their respective PR's in the 5000m and 1500m
- Connor Robertson was only .44 seconds off his PR in the 1500, while Isam Tahir missed his PR in the 100 by .15 seconds
- Miguel Haro Ruiz is second in the conference for the 1500 and third in conference for the 800
- Etta Moen took seventh in the 5000 with a new career best of 19:49.42
- Syrah Starnes took sixth in the hammer throw with a new PR of 38.53
- Logan Kyle is fourth in the conference for the high jump
- Emily Tash and Maddie Thomas both set new PR's in the 400 and 200 respectively
- Anakin Mares set a new PR in the 100m, for a third place finish
The Pioneers host the L&C Invite in their home stadium next weekend on Sat., Apr. 20 for their final meet before the conference championships. Racing starts at 10am.