Wood Collects First Career Double-Double in 65-58 Win

Wood Collects First Career Double-Double in 65-58 Win

PORTLAND, Ore. - Freshman Lauren Wood picked up the first double-double of her career with the Lewis & Clark women's basketball team on Tuesday night as the Pioneers defeated Willamette 65-58.

The Pioneers improve to 6-8 on the season and 3-2 in Northwest Conference action. The win is the third straight for the Pios in conference play. The Bearcats, who have yet to pick up a NWC victory, fall to 5-9 overall.

Wood ended the night 9-of-11 from the floor and 5-of-10 from the free-throw line for a game-high 23 points. The forward also pulled down a game-high 11 boards, eight of which were on the offensive side of the ball. Juniors Kaitlin Mathewson and Sarah Anderson each ended the night in double-figures in scoring, with Mathewson netting 15 and Anderson 10. Sophomore Ayisat Afolabi finished the evening with 10 rebounds for L&C, while joining Cianna Ochoco and Kelley Koeppen with one block.

JoJo DeLong led the Bearcats with 12 points, while teammate Julia Brand netted 11.

The first half began with the Pioneers rolling to a dominating 11-0 advantage with the help of six points from Wood. Lewis & Clark continued to pile it on, taking a 25-10 lead with 6:24 still left in the first half.   

Willamette managed to cut the deficit to eight points, 32-24, with just six seconds left until intermission. Ochoco extended the Pioneer lead back to 10 points with a buzzer beating jumper that sent the Pios into the locker room leading 34-24.

Wood opened the second half with back-to-back jumpers for the Pioneers, but the Bearcats found a way back into the contest. Willamette went on to knock down the next seven points to make it a 38-33 game with 17:46 remaining.

The two sides would trade baskets over the next five minutes, with Willamette making it a 47-42 game with 8:46 to go. Anderson responded with a three pointer seconds later that put out the Bearcats fire. Lewis & Clark stretched its lead back to 10 points, 54-44, with a little over five minutes left to play. The Bearcats scrapped their way back into the contest toward the end, pulling within four points with just seconds remaining. Despite Willamette's efforts, the Pioneers ended the game with three free-throws to pull out the seven-point win. 

The Pioneers return to the court on Friday, Jan. 16 at Puget Sound for a 6 p.m. tip.