LA GRANDE, Ore. -- The Pioneers were winless in the 1st Annual Coach Mike Memorial Tournament after dropping their second game to host Eastern Oregon, 84-57. A high energy first quarter kept the Pioneers within five of the nationally ranked Mountaineers, but offensive stalls in the second and third quarters allowed Eastern Oregon to pull away.
Despite a high energy start by the Pioneers neither team could score in the first two minutes of the game. A foul by Alyx Crager at the eight-minute mark put Jane Nelson to the line who sank both her free throws to put Eastern Oregon on the board and shift the momentum to the home team. Lewis & Clark found themselves down 18-9 with less than three minutes to go in the first quarter. A series of turnovers gave the Mountaineers easy fast break points. A steal by Logan Kelly and a subsequent three-pointer by Laurel Marchant followed shortly after by a three-pointer by Kelly got the game to within three points with one minute to go in the first quarter.
The Pioneers entered the second quarter down by only five but the Mountaineers started the second with an 11-0 run. Unable to knock down shots on offense the Pioneers focused their attention on defense and kept the home team scoreless for the final three minutes of the first half.
- With the exception of three injured players, every member of the roster played double-digit minutes
- Romo had a career-high eight points, Marchant had a career-high six points and Kayla Chong had a career-high four points
- The Pioneers had a season-high 18 offensive rebounds
- Kelley and Barsochinni each had three assists
- The Pioneers had a season-high 31 bench points
The Pioneers continue their non-conference schedule on Wednesday at Warner Pacific at 7 p.m.