WALLA WALLA, Wash. -- The Lewis & Clark Pioneers launched out to an early eight-point lead against the No. 24 Whitman Blues on Friday night. Alyx Crager hit her first three 3-pointers on the way to a team-high 17 points, but Whitman (17-4, 11-1 NWC) took control in the mid-quarters for a 78-52 victory at Sherwood Athletic Center.
Delsie Johnson added nine points. Sara Hogman and Jessica Cerne added eight points apiece with Hogman adding five assists. Whitman was led by junior guard Mady Burdett who finished with a game-high 18 points, going three for five from the three-point line.
The Pioneers (2-18, 1-10 NWC) struck first with Crager making her first three of the game in the first minute off of an assist by Johnson. The Blues followed that quickly with two points of their own. Subsequent baskets by Johnson and Burdett tied the game at five. The Pioneers then went on a 10-2 run, their largest of the game, sparked by two baskets apiece from Cerne and Crager. Leading by eight with less than six minutes to go in the first quarter the Pioneers stalled offensively scoring only two more points the remainder of the first quarter trailing the Blues 21-17 going into the second quarter.
The Pioneers offensive troubles continued in the second quarter allowing the Blues to go on a 12-3 run to lead by 13 with a little over four minutes to go in the first half. The Pioneers shot only 18.8 percent from the field in the second quarter.
- Crager went three for three from the three-point line in the first quarter on her way to a team-high 17 points
- Johnson led the Pioneers on the board, pulling seven rebounds
- The entire Pioneers roster played double-digit minutes
- Tori Eichten recorded the team's only block which brings her to 20 blocks on the season and puts her in fifth place in the NWC in total blocks
- Peyton Romo led the bench in scoring with five, her most points since Dec. 12
The Pioneers take on the Whitworth Pirates on Saturday, Feb. 2 with tip-off set for 4 p.m.