NEWBERG, Ore. -- The Lewis & Clark Pioneers lost in a midweek contest against the George Fox Bruins on Wednesday night by a final of 27-25, 25-22, 25-20.
Lewis & Clark nearly completed a three-point comeback in the opener by forcing extra points, but George Fox pulled out the set and went on for the win at Wheeler Sports Center.
Kendall Malone had 14 kills to lead the Pioneers, seven in the second set. The Pios hit .243 in the opener and was over .300 nearly the whole set.
The Pioneers trailed the entire first set before using Malone's kill and two aces by Kelsey Parker to tie the match at 23 apiece. Makena Ohlmaier added a kill, one of eight she landed in the game, to give the Pios a one-point lead and prompt a George Fox timeout. The Bruins won the next two points before Paige O'Rear's attack error evened things at 25-25. George Fox won the final two points.
Michelle McGinn had a pair of kills in both the first and third sets and finished .400 hitting for the night. She passed for 27 assists and had eight digs.
With the Pios trailing by five, Malone put down three straight kills and Parker held serve for five points to bring Lewis & Clark within one, 17-16. Much like in the first, the Pioneers won streaks of points late in sets. They scored three-in-a-row in the second to close to within 24-22 and had three of the final five points in the third.
- Ohlmaier hit for her third-highest percentage of the season (.429) on her fewest attempts of those three games (14)
- She finished with eight kills and just two errors to go with an assist, two aces, three digs and a block and passed 200 sets played for her career on Wednesday
- Malone has now totaled double-digit kills in four straight games for the third time this season and moved passed 250 digs for the season
- Parker had her third game of the year with double-digit digs (13)
- Sydney Richardson started at libero and finished with 10 digs
Lewis & Clark has Thursday off before heading to Pacific Lutheran on Friday for a 7 p.m. start.